Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
short IO commands
Hi all,
I am a poor typist, never learnt to touch type, therefore I always try to use the shortest commands.
For the STM32F103, I use the following macros in the .h file:
#define Varfromcomb(x, y) x
#define Bitfromcomb(x, y) y                      page numbers refer to RM0008 Reference manual
#define sbit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->BSRR = 1 << Bitfromcomb(comb)//p172 Port Set/Reset Register
#define cbit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->BRR  = 1 << Bitfromcomb(comb)//p173 Port Reset Register
#define rbit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->IDR &  1 << Bitfromcomb(comb)//p171 Port input data register
Then the IO ports get specified               
#define Led     GPIOC,13 //on-board LED
#define jaws    GPIOB, 9 etc.

Now to set a bit: sbit(Led);
Clear a bit: cbit(jaws);
Read a bit: rbit(jaws);
Where bits are manipulated a lot in a program, this saves a lot of typing, and gives the shortest assembler output.

Hoping this can be of use to somebody.
@smitjs,

I like these ideas. Do you have similar solutions in case the pin is not known at compilation time? For example, if you are doing a library for generic communication interface. In that case the port number and bit number are parameters for the initialization code.
Cheers, Ollie
Hi Ollie,
Never had to do that, but certainly the macros can be included in the library.
Then it is only necessary to add the #defines for the I/O port bits when known. 
Should not be a problem.
Cheers
Clever. Good work. Direct register manipulation is the best.

To extend your idea could not ...

#define obit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->MODER |= (  1 << ( Bitfromcomb(comb )  << 1 ) )

#define ibit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->MODER &= ~(  3 << ( Bitfromcomb(comb )  << 1 ) )

... be about to initially open a bit for output? The ibit() macro can be used to first clear whatever was in MODER.

Note: This is based on STM32F407 knowledge, I'm not sure if your 103 is similar.

Regards, Workalot 
(04-07-2017, 08:40 AM)Workalot Wrote: #define obit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->MODER |= (  1 << ( Bitfromcomb(comb )  << 1 ) )

#define ibit(comb)  Varfromcomb(comb)->MODER &= ~(  3 << ( Bitfromcomb(comb )  << 1 ) )

.Note: This is based on STM32F407 knowledge, I'm not sure if your 103 is similar.

Regards, Workalot 

Sure that would work. I do not know the F407, but I assume the registers are similar to the F103.
Whatever works is good.
Regards
Johan Smit
(14-12-2016, 12:23 PM)smitjs Wrote: Hi all,
Hoping this can be of use to somebody.

It certainly is to me! Thanks, pretty clever!
-E