Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.atdf thoughts
It appears Atmel Cortex-M7 parts, which include the SAM S70, SAM V70, SAM E70 families, use .atdf files instead of .svd.  Has there been any interest in .atdf for EmBitz?
But are .atdf files different? Or is just the file extension different? Some vendors (e.g. Nordic) are using the .xml extension but it is still the SVD specification.

If Atmel really uses a totally new specification (different than the SVD specified by ARM) then they are on there own and not very wise.
Several months ago Atmel was naming them .svd but now they are naming them .atdf. Looking at one they look like regular .xml SVD files. I think you are right.
System View Description (SVD) files are part of the CMCIS ecosystem and crucial to debugging peripherals (GPIO, DMA, ADC, U(S)ART, Time etc).
It would make little sense if these .atdf  aren't .svd file with an other extension.
Without a proper .svd file it won't be possible to inspect or change the content of the registers in the peripheral devices using GDB or say Ozone.
If the .atdf follows the same xml schema as other .svd files do, one could try searching the file for the description of a GPIO port.
If the file contain a description of all the registers in the port that follows the description in the reference manual in the same way the description is done for a MuC that is know to have a working .svd , then I would be pretty certain the case is closed.
The .svd for STM32F103RB as used in the Nucleo F103 board would be my favorite example for the latter.

Or one could copy a .atdf to a .svd and try debuging a "blinky"  Tongue

Cheers
Tim
or just use the <blabla>.atdf file in the SVD viewer plugin in EB. EB doesn't force a fixed extension name.