Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions future releases
My suggestion is that the policy for member vs. non-member be better thought out.  Make support and a large subset of online content available only to members, but those resources that are required just to get started using the IDE should be available pre-membership.

With the 1.11 release, it appears that no online content is available, including the SVDs.  The base installation has no svd files in the svd repo, you must download an svd file for a target the first time you create a project for that target, and if you're not a current paid member, you cannot download any SVDs.  For the first time user of emBitz, this is a show-stopper.  I'm not going to spend (at the current exchange rate) USD $58 simply to evaluate whether emBitz meets my requirements as a hobbyist (I do embedded development as both a hobby and a vocation, but I'm trying out emBitz on my own at home).

The homepage says a membership is required to access on-line content and support, but it also implies that the tool is fully functional without a membership.  It may be functional, but it's not usable, or at least there's no documentation that allows getting around the lack of SVDs for a given target (example, a given STM32F4 family MCU).  Nothing that says how to write your own SVDs, either, and because the local repository doesn't have any files in it, no good way to work it out for yourself.
https://github.com/posborne/cmsis-svd/tr...ta/STMicro
(18-09-2017, 02:04 PM)Mink Wrote: https://github.com/posborne/cmsis-svd/tr...ta/STMicro

Thanks.

There ought to be something, some link or other help for the beginner. There is no help text to speak of for emBitz itself, the help menu just has "About", "Tips", "Plugins...", "emBitz", "ARM", and "MSP430", and under "emBitz" there are 3 entries, all the same file (the release notes).  Nothing on the settings, how to set up a project from scratch, debugging features, etc. (unless it's all under "plugins...").

Perhaps the emBitz help itself is on-line content?
(02-12-2016, 06:38 AM)EmBitz Wrote: But I see the shifting happening at the companies that I visit or working for. The  current starting generation ( youngsters Smile ) are equal used to Linux as to Windows but they grab Linux as their favorite. I think this is due to the fact that the universities and schools have now a days teachers and professors totally used to Linux that this OS is more and more used at the practicum labs. If you need an OS on a small system or big system, Linux is up and running in a couple of minutes without any costs, important for schools. The older generations would love to keep using Windows because they joined the whole journey from Dos, win 3.0 to win3,1 enhanced, win98, NT, XP and 7 but newer generations doesn't have this burden.

I think that Microsoft has the disadvantage of being the first and that they need to change strategy to survive, otherwise they are overtaken by tablets with other OSes like Linux (Android).

Look at Intel, first you are the leader with Z80, 8051 etc,  and a decade further they are  missing the IoT and Mobile market.

Hi Gerald,

Any news/updates on this Embitz for Linux.

Is this still in your planning?

Also, I have a suggestion on might be an incentive for the membership.
Add a page here with a clear list , telling people some of the thing available right now (fix, working add-on, GDB update, state etc...)
Dear forum,
I'm newbie here and I'm looking for free or nonexpensive STM32 IDE, working on Linux platform. I found only AC6, based on awful Eclipse. I'm ready to pay for membership, but earlier wish to know, how is a chance for Linux EmBitz version (and when). Any suggestions?
Of course I extremely suggest such a version for Linux, it can be a hit for a Linux users.

Best regards
Hope for a new version never dies...
As of 2018, the most important features imho:
1. the bug with the nucleo st-link
2. STM32CubeMX&HAL support
3. EBLink
4. import from one or more of the following formats: Keil, IAR, TrueStudio, makefile GCC projects.
IMHO the idea with membership failed!
It is necessary to return to donations, as it was before. Previously, releases were more frequent.
We payed for membership, asked about bugfix version, but no answer. :-(
Sadly I changed to a commercial product. I really liked Embitz, but it seems dead like Coocox.
No hope?
Seems no hope. :-(